In earlier posts we have referred to Laurent Giles use of research in the towing tank and wind tunnel. Inspired by a need to know more it appears that Jack spent more time at these Institutions than he did at his desk.
Much of what we consider common place design features exist because Giles and his peers utilized the towing tanks at Stevens Institute, the University of Southampton, and at Cowes and Feltham, and the R. J. Mitchell Wind Tunnel at Southampton and the Fairey Aviation wind tunnel at Hayes..
His first was eighty years ago in February 1938 at Stevens Institute, New Jersey; measuring upright resistance for John Illingworth’s Maid of Malham – and his last thirty years after, for the previously mentioned 225’ schooner was tested at Southampton.
Post 1968 Laurent Giles continued with their use of testing facilities increasing understanding and constantly striving to achieve better performance on vessels varying in form and type from the 21’ Westerly Jouster, International 12 meter (K-25) White Horse Challenge, to the 26m TSDY Dalvina, which was the very last vessel ever to be tested at the quarter mile long tank at Feltham. Both of these yachts were subsequently constructed in aluminium by Cougar Marine on the river Hamble.